When talking about the month of April, it's not only about "April Fools." April is also a time for relaxation. It is a time to do away with what the NYDaily calls "March Madness" and concentrate on the new found freshness of spring.
April is "Stress Awareness Month." NYD has it that stress and anxiety can come in many forms. Since millions of Americans spend 40 hours a week or more working during the week, it is only fitting to note that stress is part of the job description. NYD writes that stress can kill you. It can lead to serious illnesses like cancer, heart diseases, diabetes and even death. While employees focus on getting home or getting a vacation, Tiffany Cruikshank says that "The most important thing is just to notice the process," she says. "Begin to question whether this internal stress or tension is appropriate to the situation." (In other words: No, you aren't in mortal danger because your apartment is messy and your to-do list is long.) And with a mindful perspective, she says, comes peace.
Recognize that stress comes in all shapes and sizes. Your stress hormones are there for times when you are being chased by a grizzly bear, not when your boss is too demanding. Stress that continues over long periods of time can contribute to serious health problems.
It isn't healthy to be stressed during a lengthy period. So learn to dial it back. Debbie Baumgarten has these tips for you to try and manage stress in the work place.:
1. Isolate your stressors - what is causing the stress.
2. Talk it out with those people that are causing you stress. Find a common ground or better fit to function.
3. Talk about it with someone. Vent out on a friend or get professional help
4. Meditation, massage, aromatherapy and many other self-help techniques can also go a long way in reducing stress. Also check out this JobsNHire article, if you want to try a five-minute stress relief.
5. Yoga, physical exercise or taking a walk routinely can be very de-stressing.
6. Laying down some new ground rules in the house or workplace might help.
7. When there is a real-life situation that needs real-life solutions worked out, then that's what needs to be done.