Are you in advertising? If you're looking to find out if there's a change in the industry or learn a thing or two about what's going on in the ad world today, here's a list for you to consider.
1. Did you know Yahoo secretly closed a mystery company for $23 million in 2015? Yahoo has not revealed the company name and the reason why it was bought. However, they did disclose that the entire value had been written off the books.
2. The streaming service, Netflix, has invested in cutting out 6 days worth of commercials for its viewers. That's a big gap compared to cable TV ads. Netflix doesn't plan on changing its viewing experience.
3. 360-Degree Facebook Videos are a hit with users. They move their phones around or click around their computer screen to change the camera angle as they play.
4. According to Business Insider, Budweiser will be rebranded to "America."
5. Sir John Hegarty says that there is a danger in choosing "content" above old-fashioned ads.
6. Lyst's "Canine Collection" was a major PR stunt. Complaints were received when the retail company offered dogs for sale as handbag accessories.
7. Amazon launches Video Direct to compete with Youtube. Creators get to earn through ads for every videos they upload.
8. The search engine Baidu was ordered to reduce ads in their search results to put value before profits.
9. Hershey's is planning to mashup Reese's Pieces and Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. It could be a megahit.
10. Amazon stocks soared to $701.38.
Consider these things when building advertising strategies this year. It could come in handy in today's digital and social media age as companies move towards digital platforms.