Jul 26, 2013 08:04 PM EDT

Parasitic Meningitis: 12-Year-Old Kali Hardig's Fatal Brain Infection; Why You Shouldn't Swim In Lake; What's It Like? [VIDEO & REPORT]

Parasitic Meningitis can be transmitted in water. Those who contract it are typically fatal.

That's what 12-year-old Arkansas girl Kali Hardig's parents learned after their daughter entered a children's hospital in Little Rock, Arkansas.

"I couldn't get her fever down. She started vomiting. She'd say her head hurt really bad. She cried and she would just look at me and her eyes would just kind of roll," said Traci Hardig.

The little girl was swimming in a warm water lake and must have ingested the water through her nose. Apparently, the disease called primary amebic meningoencephalitis occurs when warm freshwater from lakes and rivers enter in to the patient's nose during their dive.

The parasite then enters through the nose into the brain and begins to cause inflammation in the brain. The doctors have placed Kali Hardig in a medically induced coma, hoping that the disease will die off while she was kept asleep.

This disease will not be contractible for pools that are regularly dowsed with chlorine.

More than a week ago, another woman found a flesh eating maggot inside her head. Watch the video on it below.

Get the Most Popular Jobs&Hire Stories in a Weekly Newsletter
© 2017 Jobs & Hire All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Join the Conversation

Real Time Analytics