"The Vampire Diaries" has come a long way since it started way back in 2009 on the CW network. The TV series, adapted from L.J. Smith, started around the time when Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart's "Twilight" vampire franchise was at its peak among moviegoers.
If you have been an avid fan of the characters of Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley, collectively known as the Salvatore brothers, and Nina Dobrev's Elena Gilbert, then by now you have met all the villains that have come to wreak havoc to Mystic Falls. Nevertheless, while waiting for the premiere of "The Vampire Diaries" Season 7 to hit the small screen, take a look back down memory lane and reminisce the characters whom you have come to hate and love at the same time during the past seasons.
Check out the 5 top villains that have terrorized Mystic Falls.
5. Silas — was an immortal witch who can control minds. In "The Vampire Diaries" Season 4, he manipulated Dr. Atticus Shane to commit a series of murders to prepare for his imminent resurrection. Fans were left in awe when the image of Silas was revealed — turned out he was the original and Stefan was a doppelganger! What made him such a hated "TVD" character was when he locked up poor Stefan in a vault, tossed him underwater and primarily forced him to die by drowning again and again for a couple of months. He was also responsible for a number of deaths among residents of Mystic Falls including Bonnie Bennet's dad, as per The Vampire Diaries.
4. Dr. Wes Maxfield — was a sadistic doctor and a professor of Elena at Whitmore College. He tortured and experimented on vampires in order to create an Augustine breed, which, according to TV Fanatic, would feed on his own kind. His creation spelled trouble for "The Vampire Diaries" vamps because they were at risk of being fed on and hunted by their own. He appeared in Season 5 wherein Damon's best buddy Enzo was introduced. Turned out, Damon was also involved in the Augustine project as the research subject.
3. Katherine Pierce — was the primary source of the Salvatore brother's conflict. She was also the one who turned Damon and Stefan into vampires and made Mystic Falls her own playground. According to Wetpaint, Katherine was brutally honest, totally evil and such a manipulative creature. Without her, "TVD" would not be so cherished and loved by viewers. She was the typical example of the girl you loved to hate.
2. Klaus Mikaelson — the hybrid and original vampire who eventually got his own spin-off via "The Originals" had a diabolical plan to bleed Elena to death in order to sire his own hybrid vampires. A lot of characters were victims to his evil plan including Elena and Jeremy's aunt and Alaric's lady love, Jenna. As per IMDb, Klaus first appeared on "The Vampire Diaries" Season 2 until Season 5. Fans were even clamoring for his return in a crossover special in the upcoming Season 7. Who knows, he might rekindle his love affair with Caroline if things don't go well with Cami.
1. Kai Parker — was the ultimate villain who has terrorized Mystic Falls and its vampire residents in Season 6. His vile plans will even reverberate to "The Vampire Diaries" Season 7 by bringing in the new bad, "The Heretics." Kai was described as a sociopathic witch who was trapped by his own coven, The Gemini Coven, because of his obsession to gain and amass power. Kai was the ultimate villain because of all his transgressions such as betraying and torturing Bonnie in the prison world, killing his siblings before his imprisonment and after, murdering the whole Gemini Coven including twin sister Jo and her unborn children with Alaric on her wedding day and what's worst, Elena and Delena shippers pretty much hated him for magically linking Elena with Bonnie, as per The Vampire Diaries.
Catch "The Vampire Diaries" Season 7 on CW on Thursday, Oct. 8 and find out if the new villains to hit Mystic Falls will surpass the deeds of the ones listed above.